High school is a time of lengthy projects, multi-step tasks and lots of planning to get it all done on time. How can you possibly figure out what to tackle on a daily basis given how many things are due?
It starts small. Breaking down the larger tasks into small, doable chunks. In order to do that…we recommend starting at step one.
Begin with the end…in mind.
When you understand what it is you’re assigned to do — you can create a plan — and get it done. If you don’t understand the assignment — find that classroom teacher or teacher aides and get more detail. Then head to step 1 below.
- Big picture time — what is this task/project/assignment supposed to be What is the end result???
- It’s not Magic — devise a step-by-step plan. It’s not as daunting as you might think when you weed out what it takes to get it done.
- Follow the Roadmap — what needs to happen first, second, third…
- Deadline Approaching — any task is easier when you know it’s got a hard stop. Make a timeline that’s doable for you.
- See it Through — set aside time for this project. Include it in your iCalendar, write down what you need to do on a calendar or your notes for the day ahead, schedule the time as part of your day — be specific! And stay on task.
- Final Review — be sure to give yourself time to check your work.
- Celebrate and Reflect — smile as you successfully saw your plan through from start to finish! Congratulate yourself. Reflect on what you learned in the process and be ready to apply it to the next task you will conquer!
Staying organized and tackling big projects is one way to show the world you’re ready for that high school diploma AND college credits. We have so much confidence in your abilities. You belong here! If you need anything from us, your Gateway support system, you know where to find us. Let’s talk it over, together!
Gateway College and Career Academy (formerly Gateway to College) is an early college public high school launched in 2004, as an answer to the growing number of students who were disconnected from their education and not on track to obtain their high school diplomas. Our highly qualified teaching and counseling staff supports and guides our students on their educational pathways, establishing a bond of trust and the motivation to make it to the finish line.
Riverside City College is an ideal partner, helping our students transition to college education via concurrent enrollment in GCCA and RCC, and giving access to all of the college’s resources and supports. You belong here!